Upgrading a CR-30 Belt Printer

I’ve been working on upgrades to a CR-30 with the goal of better / faster print quality and higher temps with access to more materials. For a first pass, I’m using parts I’m familiar with and have on hand:

E3Dv6 Hot End (or clone)
Hardened Steel Sharp Nozzle
40mm fans
SKR v1.3 / SKR Mini V2 / BigTreeTech RRF control board
USB / buck converter to power the Pi

The still-in-progress printable parts needed are in this Onshape document.

I’m also using a Pi-Zero-W as both a GCode sender and as a web-cam. It provides a live feed and also takes snapshots at each layer of a print and can generate a time-lapse when a print is done. This is using still-in-development code from the GridBot project.

This is the end-state:

Sample print quality after the upgrade:

And snapshots of work leading up to this:

I will update this as I make more progress

Quick update. I switched the control board back to the SKR v1.3 – I just like it better.

Here is the bracket I made for it. It’s in the linked Onshape document above

And it looks like this with the board installed

And with the updated case fan bracket and USB Buck Converter in place

All back together again with a new blue USB cable to the PI Zero W

1 Like

I replaced the hot end with one based on a Volcano, and … WOW. Heats up fast. Incredible prints.

I had to create a new fan mount variant which is also in the above linked CAD models.

parts for the upgrade:

hot end kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751BMYJB
50W heater: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H4QXSM5
thermistor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y4NYMSN
silicone tape for heat block (found in a drawer)


Upgrades continue. Yesterday, the X rail went on:

which meant a new bracket

parts came off

Y rails go on today. More details soon…

Y rails and new head complete

1 Like