Aligning laser cut slices

Loving the ease of making slices for laser-cutting - thanks so much for the tool! But I am struggling to get the slices aligned. Is there a function so we generate an outline on the bottom piece so we know exactly where the next one goes, e.g. like this:

i.e. blue would cut, red would score, and we could use the scored lines to align perfectly the next layer.
thanks!
-mak

2 Likes

Hi @mak and welcome! Can you do something as simple as add one or two pin holes that goes through the entire stack?

Thanks @stewart. Yes, but it would require a lot of pinholes for anything more complex, such as

and I think I’d lose track of which pinhole went where.
The previous slicer I used was a now-defunct plugin for Fusion360 which had this function built-in, and I didn’t realise how important it was until I tried making a topographical map without it!

oh, wow. totally makes sense for that :slight_smile: let me take a look at the code and see if I can whip something up. the easiest way to do this is with SVG colors, if you’re using that output.

1 Like

Awesome, that would be amazing. Colored SVG is perfect

@mak I didn’t forget about this. the latest dev release 3.1.D7 has a new option under output

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 7.31.58 PM

for a model like this

it adds a different color mark so you can enable a different laser power for marking stacks

Amazing! Can’t wait to try it out. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi @stewart - thanks again for adding this facility. I wrote an instructable on it, see Pending Review - Instructables

awesome. I assume you’ve confirmed it works then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like an absolute charm

1 Like

How can I get this output?

This image before preview

image|267x275

use the arrow keys to rotate the object to lay horizontally

I mean 3D DXF output rather then a a flat layout as in the following

3D DXF output is not supported.

Is it likely to be implemented? Incidentally I had taken dxf out put of CNC mill and following was the view

BTW I am unable to open dxf out put of laser cutting layout.

I tried to online convert ‘workspace kmx’ file but no luck.

Thanks for your quick response

cnc laser output is just gcode with laser on/off commands. can you point me to the 3D DXF spec?