About to get started with new GridBot v2 build

I’ve ordered the 1.4 turbo from amazon I’m not up for waiting 2 months to get one from china for cheaper lol . Im having trouble finding the
LMK8LUU https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Flange-Linear-Bearings-Length/dp/B07H93T2YK the nearest i can find in the uk are the same but they have a square base not round its these… https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-map-LMK8UU-Square-Bearings/dp/B07H96WCZJ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sourcing+map+LMK8UU&qid=1601079311&sr=8-2 .
and im having trouble finding chromed 400mm x 8mm shaft do you think these will do ? https://it-tech-uk.com/transmission/156-stainless-steel-304-grade-round-shaft-3d-printer-cnc-8-20mm.html#/84-diameter-8mm/1355-length-400mm . and for my final question should i get the 12v or 24 volt extruder ? many thanks :grin:

if you can’t find the LMK8LUU, I have extra and can ship you some. As for the shafts, if they’re the right diameter and length, you’re all good.

I’ve found some of the LMK8LUU now . just got to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery thanks for offering tho much appreciated :+1:
which E3D V6 is in this build is it Bowden or Direct Drive and is it 12v or 24
my best guess is its a E3D V6 Bowden 24v just double checking before i order it :wink:

Yes, it’s a E3D V6 Bowden 24V.

@jeffeb3 just designed a gantry for direct drive, if you’re interested. I’m doing Bowden for now, but the direct drive version looks good too.

Thanks for that will order it now . that sounds interesting mate post me link :+1:

I ordered parts to model and build a direct drive. Will post an updated CAD model when it’s tested and ready.

2 Likes

sounds like a good plan . I’m sure you guys with have it sorted in no time . Ive ordered most the bits now just got these things left now.
extruder drive
bl touch extension (what size will do i can only get the 1.5m one will that do ?)
bed cork
bed surface ( what would you guys say is the best all rounder )
bed heater ( ordered this 330x330mm is it ok ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293714969173 )
60mm fan
do i need a cable to connect the pi to the main board if so what one and how long do i need it to be ?
many thanks and sorry for all the questions!

I’m really curious to see what you think. Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

@KingSutton

• I got the 2M bl touch extension
  • Every bed surface has trade-offs. Of my 4 printers, 2 are Anycubic, 1 is a mirror, and 1 is the WhamBam PEI plate. The 3 glass beds all have BuildTak stickers on one side and I can flip them for my desired build.
  • Make sure the bed handles 24V
  • You probably need a 1.5 or 2 meter USB cable

I received “square” LMK8LUU too… Should not be a big problem I hope, since the hole placement is the same, I believe.
I suppose that the reason that we are having troubles with round LMK8LUU is that there is some misunderstanding in the part numbers. As you can see here:

some sources use LMF8LUU part number which is round while LMK8LUU is square.

shouldn’t be a problem

Tested a new bracket for direct drive today. Seems to work ok. Will start a new post when the model is ready.

1 Like

I haven’t reported on my progress in a while. I’ve been busy with other things around the house, but I was able to do some wiring last weekend. Still need to hook up a few more things and then it’s time for belts and firmware. It’s getting colder here in Pittsburgh, so my outdoor time might be replaced with more basement time soon.

1 Like

is it working any better than the old one ? or are they about the same ?

if you’re asking about the direct drive modification, check out this post.

yes i was ! but thanks for the heads up i will stick with the bowden for now. most of my parts have arrived now just got to wait for the flanges and then get the printed and laser cut parts done. on another note what size heat bed in the cad because and will it fit a 330x330 heated bed think i may have gone a bit overboard lol

I have a 330x330 and it works for me. There’s quite a bit of discussion about beds in this thread.

good to know is yours the 450x450x450mm build to ?

Mine is 450x450x650.
But since X/Y dimensions are the same, there should be no difference to yours