Using Kiri:Moto offline and installing as an App

I’ve done work to make Kiri:Moto a full-fledged Progressive Web App. That means it can be installed to the home page of mobile devices like phones and tables and run offline with no internet. At this time, the code is still a bit experimental, so it’s on a sub-domain of grid.space

Please test it out and let me know how it works for you.

4 Likes

Stewart, et. al.: I’ve launched the web app from the live link included, and saved to home page on iPhone 14 Pro Max. Unfortunately, in iOS 16 (16.1.1), the device insists an internet connection must be active to execute the web app. Would it be possible to write up a short tut on the best way to use this completely offline?

Many thanks for all the hard work!

Jeff

Hi Jeff and thanks for the report.

On the face of it, it looks like another way in which Apple is hobbling Progressive Web Apps on iOS that compete with and make a mockery of their app store empire. It could be more subtle, but none of the PWA code has changed since this was last working for me. I test on iPad / iOS as well as Android, but not in the last month and maybe not on the latest release.

I can probably find the cause and fix it so that the prior expected behavior is exhibited. Will keep you updated.

Stewart-

That’s another reason we genuinely respect you and the hard work you dedicate to supporting Kiri:Moto.

(And I agree wholeheartedly about the fruit tree that produces sour fruit these days…the walled garden could definitely use a little pruning……)

Thanks again for the follow up and have a great weekend ahead.

2 Likes

My iPad was 15.5 and it allowed me to install and run it offline with airplane mode enabled. It works in 16.x if you first run the app again and let it cache fully. If it is not fully cached, it will report a network error. Maybe rebooting affects the cache state? Requires more testing

1 Like

Stewart- Meaning to update for the last week or so. Under iOS 16.x, if the web app is opened and ALL desired app functions are toggled/accessed while online, everything appears to remain persistent while offline (includes file I/O, various about features and all slicing/rendering/export functionality.)

A bit of a pain to remember upon initial launch; but works flawlessly after that initial load.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I have had a chance to dig into this a bit further, and there are a few things I can do to improve this. I will let you know when I’ve rolled out changes for you to test.

Thanks again. I look forward to it. Have a good week ahead.