Slicer Profiles

What slicers are you using with your gridbots, and what settings are you using? I can paste mine for prusa slicer, which is based off of the railcore settings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRLHLSPRtPcKCSEBPh1hh4MuxDydHKtI/view?usp=sharing

I know there are settings for gridbot two in kiri:moto, but @stewart, I think you mentioned you are using other settings on your printers.

@jeffeb3 I exclusively use Kiri:Moto as my slicer for FDM, CAM, Laser, etc. I haven’t used any other slicers in at least 5 years. I have a lot of different settings depending on the object. In fact, I would say that there is no single “profile” that I use for any significant number of prints. I tailor settings for each object.

That’s fair. I definitely edit a setting or two each print. Infill, brim, supports come to mind immediately, or if I’m using a different filament. Occasionally I will change perimeters or layer height. But I restore them to my preferred settings or just don’t save before I slice again. Things like infill speed though, I just try to get basically as fast as possible and then I don’t think about it anymore.

I’m glancing at the kiri:moto settings, and there aren’t as many, so it seems reasonable that I might just cruise through them on each object. But I am conscious of the number of decisions I have to make, and I’d rather not make more decisions than I have to.

Have you enabled expert mode in Kiri? Still, not as many parameters as other slicers. This is on purpose. Making something simpler to use is the harder route.

First, you almost never need most of them on a properly tuned printer. Second, in most cases you can accomplish the same goal with another setting. Third, almost all of the hundreds of other possible settings are trivial to add if they were to be discovered to be actually important.

Most of the time I’m tuning (in order of frequency):

• shell count
  • solid layer count
  • % infill
  • temps (nozzle, bed)
  • speeds
  • extrusion multipliers

Less frequently:

• 1st layer tweaks (speed, temp, brims)
  • support generator parameters

I didn’t mean that as a negative. Fewer settings goes right into my goal of fewer decisions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah. I just couldn’t resist the temptation to hop on a soap box about it. People get used to having lots of knobs and dials. I guess it makes something feel more sophisticated or capable. Whereas I take it to mean a decision couldn’t be made by the designer or inferred properly by the engine, so the guts were left on the table for you to sort through.

2 Likes