Roughing Outside and Climb vs. Conventional

I have a couple questions that there are some previous conversations about but I can’t really find the answer to.

I would like to outside only rough that leaves material and then do an outline finishing pass. It seems this was deemed unnecessary with the use of “wide cutout” in the outline operation. I’m not seeing how the “wide cutout” solves the problem. What am I missing?

Why I want to do this: It seems that deflection is an issue with deep cuts. Roughing deep leaving a little material with outline after seems to be a faster method than outline with wide cutout. I can rough deep and fast without worrying about the deflection. Then the outline cleans it up. An aggressive/deep roughing with conventional milling and then a light easy climb mill outline seems to be ~30% faster than outline wide cutout.

Next, having a roughing operation followed by an outline operation always has them circling in opposite directions. If you check, “conventional” each operation switches directions. I think I want this but it seems odd. Is that how it’s supposed to work?

I’m new to this and learning. If I’m missing something obvious, please let me know.

Alternatively, if outline with wide cutouts always did the outside cut first, that would be pretty close to what I’m looking for.

It seems to be alternating which path it cuts first instead of always cutting the outside path first.

Hopefully I’m not chasing something silly. It makes sense in my head.

+1. Just casting a vote for “leave material” and more dwim climb/conventional behavior. I appreciate that Stewart is planning a refactor for more control of path generation.

@jasonsaghi you can get the “leave material” effect by defining an artificially enlarged tool to use for that op. Also adjust stepover to un-fake the tool diameter if using wide cutout.

I didn’t think about doing something like that. That’s a good idea.

1 Like

@jasonsaghi would adding a leave stock option to outline work for you in this case so you don’t have to create a fake tool?

there may be lingering winding order issues (climb vs conventional). I will take another look. if you have simple test case workspaces, feel free to drop them here.

The fake tool worked perfectly and is easy so I’m thrilled with that. Wish I would have thought of it. I’m still learning the basics so thinking outside of the box didn’t happen.

Leave stock on outline or having wide cutout always do the pass away from the line first would work the same, i think.

I’ll try to post an example of roughing and outline going opposite directions when I’m back at the computer later.

Here is a workspace where the rough and outline operations travel in opposite directions.

workspace.kmz (233.5 KB)