Hi
I’ve been looking for an STL slicer for laser cutter for a long time, and Kiri:Moto’s GUI is by far my favorite. There’s actually a big hole when it comes to slicing STL’s for laser cutting. People used to work with 123D Make and Slicer for Fusion 360, but both of these were retired. So there’s no alternative. LuBan seems to do some of it, but it’s super outdated.
In any case, the current slicer in Kiri:Moto seems to be good only for simple things, like slicing an entire model into evenly spaced discs.
Here’s what I think would help make it more popular for laser cutting (I believe you could easily charge for it if you add this feature):
The users should be able to make some kind of a ‘skeleton’. Slices should be in two axis, with connections at the intersections. Either two perpendicular planes, or one major axis and radial slices around it. Basically make slices in several directions and then use a boolean operation to make joints.
Here’s an example of an old project someone made with 123D-Make:
Cool I was thinking you’ve already done most of the job, but I have no experience with UI, and I was thinking about the math side. In any case, keep up your great work!
I’m really speaking from zero experience here…
But could it work to slice it twice, once in the x and then y, edit out alternative slices and make slots at every point of intersection? (like cubing a tomato in a way)
Even if it prompted the user for every single one it would still be significantly faster than doing it manually.
It has all of the original’s construction techniques — stacked slices with dowels or pegs, interlocked egg-crate, radial with locking rings, ribs following a curve, and surfaces unfolded into flat panels — plus per-slice edits the original never had. It nests the parts on your sheet, labels them, and exports SVG, DXF, PDF or EPS with the usual cut / score / engrave layers.
The part I am happiest with is the checking. Before you cut anything it tells you which parts are too thin, which slots would sever a piece, and which bits are not actually held by anything — and offers a one-click fix for most of it. Every export carries a calibration bar so you can test-cut before committing a whole sheet.
It runs in your browser (the Python runs locally, nothing is uploaded), or you can run it yourself with Python or Docker. Free, AGPL, no account, no sign-up.
It is very new, so there are certainly bugs in it I have not met yet. If you throw a model at it and something goes wrong, I would genuinely love to hear about it — that is the fastest way this gets good, and nothing is too small to mention. Happy to help you get a specific model through it, too.