CAM export issue

Hi all,

In the last day I can no longer export working gcode (I export in nc format) from the CAM part of Kiri:Moto

Given the timing of the 2.8 release I suspect this issue is likely related.

As far as I’m aware I didn’t change any settings in Kiri:moto, however when I slice a 2D object with an outline operation the gcode is incomplete i.e. when I import into gsender the visualizer shows only one outline pass despite Kiri:moto’s visualizer showing 7-8 drop down passes to complete the outline operation.

At first I thought this was an issue with gsender, so I tested on universal gcode sender (ugs) and the issue remained (so not a gsender issue). Next I loaded gcode from a few days ago into both gsender and ugs and the older gcode export displayed correctly i.e. only today’s exports have this issue.

Any ideas ? Perhaps I inadvertently changed an important setting in Kiri:moto, OR perhaps there is an issue with the 2.8 release ???


Entirely possible there is a new bug in the release. Can you right-click export your workspace and email to me [sa at grid dot space]? Thanks

Oddly Funny… I was just going to message similar. Was getting NO gcode But header and footer.
Then went back just now and loaded the cube and ran export on it and it worked then. Even though it didnt an hour ago. Now all seems fine!

Well there is a problem. But just in 3.8 and 3.9.
3.7 seems to do fine
Using CNC Mode and tested with all the same file and even the cube trying to mill it
Was hoping to use the new Offset in 3.8 and 3.9 but for now cant get any of the CNC gcode to save. Just headers and footers. Even though the export image showing paths all looks good. Just no output coordinates in the gcode.

Found the bug and will push a patch shortly … now in production

1 Like

Hi Stewart, thanks for finding the bug and pushing a patch. I just tried a milling operation approx 15-20 mins ago on my cnc and it mostly worked, but another bug occurred… In Kiri:moto I had selected two tabs of 2mm height for the bottom of the 25mm outline milling operation. What happened just now is that the the first 23mm of the outline milling operation was completed successfully, but the last 2mm was left solid around the entire milling operation. When looking more closely at the “preview” of the outline operation in Kirimoto I note that while it shows the tabs, it does not show the normal vertical movements etc that are usually seen in the visualizer for tabs.

ok, can you shoot me another copy of your workspace that demonstrates this? thanks for your patience. I’m not 100% sure if there is a common root somewhere in the 3.8 dev cycle that was missed.

looking at your workspace, the step-down is 3mm and the tab height is 2mm – in this setup, the last cut is above the tab height. adjusting the step down to 1.5mm allows it to intersect with the tab

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.21.55 PM

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.21.50 PM

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.21.16 PM

Ok, I acknowledge your point and I can try this as a work around. That said, I suspect there is still a bug as when it comes to running the gcode through my cnc I didn’t have the problem previously (of the last 2mm of the outlining operation not completing due to having tabs) even when I was using tabs that were only of 1-1.5mm height. Further, if I need to adjust the step down to 1.5mm, even if this works I would note that its not an ideals solution as it will double the time of outlining operations (from using 3mm). Alternatively I guess I could make the tabs 3mm in height to avoid this problem, but in the longer term I’d love it if I were free to have smaller height tabs without needing to reduce the step down (as it worked previously). Cheers !

looking back at how 3.7 handles this, the problem is that 3.8 is missing the last pass which would have included the tab. so I’m off to find out why and fix it.

found, fixed, pushed to production. thanks again for the bug report.