Add Labels to Slices?

Is there a way to add labels to slices? e.g. Slice #1, 2, 3?

I’m using Kiri:Moto to slice 3d objects for laser cutting and stacking/assembly. When I slice a 3d object those slices are placed in rows on the X-Y plane, but there are no labels on the slices, and the only clue for order of assembly is the “move lines” (which aren’t very helpful once the number of slices increases).

If the slices were labeled, then the labels could be etched on the part and assembly would be much easier.

Thanks for all the work you’ve put in to make this project a success!

hi @jim4343 and welcome. if you select layer order under output, it will order the layers top to bottom starting at the top right and moving left and down. when this isn’t checked, it attempts a basic packing placement.

and if you choose layer color with this, the chart on the right will choose a unique color for each layer and the number will correspond with the layer.

Hi @stewart - Thanks for your reply, and I apologize for my slow response.

Is there a feature that numbers the slices directly?

Coloring the layers works well for a small number of slices, but doesn’t work for larger numbers - 20, 50, 100 or more slices. Once you’ve cut out the slices it is very difficult to order them for assembly without some kind of identifier.

I’m trying to use Kiri:Moto as a substitute for Slicer for Fusion 360 (link below). Slicer is a great tool - but it went EOL in August 2020.

Today Kiri:Moto is faster and easier to use than Slicer. The only reason that I keep wrestling with Slicer is because of this part numbering feature.

Thank you!

Can you walk me through how it works? How does it work with slices / cross sections that produce more than one independent part (like the examples above)?

Yes - definitely. I’m limited to 1 screenshot per post, so here is the most impactful one.

This is for a sufboard project that I’ve been working on. In this version there are 749 slices. Each slice is numbered for easy assembly. Numbers are engraved, outlines are cut.

I haven’t come across this use case personally. I just built a quick test model in Fusion 360 and sliced it. When there are multiple objects on the same plane they are numbered with hyphens. e.g. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3

Thanks!

Finding the largest suitable rectangle (for labeling) in an arbitrary polygon turns out to be a complex algorithm. Researching now.