About to get started with new GridBot v2 build

I received “square” LMK8LUU too… Should not be a big problem I hope, since the hole placement is the same, I believe.
I suppose that the reason that we are having troubles with round LMK8LUU is that there is some misunderstanding in the part numbers. As you can see here:

some sources use LMF8LUU part number which is round while LMK8LUU is square.

shouldn’t be a problem

Tested a new bracket for direct drive today. Seems to work ok. Will start a new post when the model is ready.

1 Like

I haven’t reported on my progress in a while. I’ve been busy with other things around the house, but I was able to do some wiring last weekend. Still need to hook up a few more things and then it’s time for belts and firmware. It’s getting colder here in Pittsburgh, so my outdoor time might be replaced with more basement time soon.

1 Like

is it working any better than the old one ? or are they about the same ?

if you’re asking about the direct drive modification, check out this post.

yes i was ! but thanks for the heads up i will stick with the bowden for now. most of my parts have arrived now just got to wait for the flanges and then get the printed and laser cut parts done. on another note what size heat bed in the cad because and will it fit a 330x330 heated bed think i may have gone a bit overboard lol

I have a 330x330 and it works for me. There’s quite a bit of discussion about beds in this thread.

good to know is yours the 450x450x450mm build to ?

Mine is 450x450x650.
But since X/Y dimensions are the same, there should be no difference to yours

Glad to hear that buddy. I was worried i went to big lol what size bed surface do you use is it the same size as the heated bed or smaller like Stewarts ? and if so what size ? and did you have to make the crossbar spacers in cad bigger ?

I got the 330x330 WhamBam FBS
https://whambam3d.com/collections/330-x-330/products/330-x-330-flexible-build-system
and I made my own level brackets to mount the bed

see

and

Wow, a year has passed - I was almost finished with the build but had to put it aside for quite a while.
I’m planning to finally finish it in the coming weeks and months(?)…

I was about to work on cable management and notice the wires from my hotend are too short. I guess I could make it work, but I’d be more comfortable with a bit more length. I have an original e3d V6 with Molex Microfit 3 connectors on the heater cable. There don’t seem to be prefab extensions longer than 1m. I guess I’ll google a little more. If I don’t find anything, I guess I have to make one.

I have had to extend the hot end wires on every build I’ve done. The other option is to mount the control board near the top of the printer…

Ah, so that’s a common issue.
I decided to try this cartridge

I like that it transitions from fiberglass shielding to PTFE infused insulation after 100mm - that should make things more flexible. And it’s 2m long.

I’m going to extend fan and thermistor cables.
My BLTouch cables are already long enough.
That should do it…

I started to put the belts on and I’ve run into some issues.
As the printhead moves towards the front of the print, the belts on the left are coming closer together until they eventually touch.
I can’t seem to see the place where I have gone wrong. Maybe my print of the x-axis mount had a slight deviation in the idler position? Or am I doing anything else wrong?

Location of the belt issue

X axis in back position - clearance ok

X axis in front position - belts touching

In the version of the GridBot you’re building, the belts do converge, but should never touch. Later versions change this to parallel belts (for aesthetics). But it should not affect print quality either way.

It’s possible I used idlers with a smaller diameter on the X rail. The CAD model should say since it maps the belt paths and shows no intersection.

I can only see one type of idler in the CAD model.
My belts are definitely touching, but I might be able to get away with using smaller idlers on the x rail. I’ll give that a try. If I can find any…

I ordered two slightly larger idlers (gt2 30t toothless instead of the gt2 20t) - one for each of the front corners. The second one in each corner can keep the standard idler.
That should actually make things line up a little better and keep the outer belt away from the inner one
Looks like delivery will take a while. We’ll see.