Precise alignment of part in stock

Hello,

I accidentally moved my model and it is no longer centered in the stock (x and y, z is fine). I would like my machine setup to have a zero in the lower left corner so my motions will be positive x and positive y but I would like control over the part placement in the stock more precisely than moving it with the mouse. Is there a way to do this? I see I can go back and center it by using the offset option but once I remove the offset it snaps back to where I moved it with the mouse.

I am learning more ways to do things in this software and it is awesome! Can’t wait to cut some real parts soon.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike. At present stock is computed around the part rather than it being something you can accurately place the part within (other than Z alignment). The origin settings (top/bottom & center/corner) are the only way to influence coordinates relative to the part at this time. The stock should update in real time as the part is dragged and resized.

Hi Stewart, Thank you for the quick reply. What I did to solve my issue was to clear and reload the part. This put it back in the middle of the stock. I will be more aware in the future to not move it if I want it left there. Knowing this is how it works I should be able to plan ahead and make it work for most things. If it ever makes sense to make a placement entry option it would get my vote. Maybe a way to snap the datum to a feature on the part or something then offset it with an xyz entry? Very usable the way it is so I am sure there are more pressing features you want to add. As I try more with the software the more I am getting the hang of it. It really is well done and can make quick work of the job in comparison to other software I have been using. Hoping to cut some parts this weekend.

Thanks,
Mike

I’m still not sure what’s going on in your setup. There are preferences for auto layout and free layout. Did you uncheck either one?

Hello, I missed those options. I must have unchecked one or both at some point and did not understand what they did then forgot I had done that. I will play with those and learn how they work. From their names it sounds like that would have done what I wanted… :slight_smile: